Yesterday has witnessed few very good examples of ensuring drinking water security at Yavatmal. As on date out of 25 VAs (Village Associations), 7 or 8 VAs are fully water secured.
Few key features:
1. Nearest Perineal water source – in these cases well were identified. In all the cases were renovated to be perineal.
2. Water distribution outlets were provisioned keeping suitability, as per community need. In Sheli Khorad 3 tanks of 3,000 litres capacity, and each water distribution tank has 3 taps (see in photo). In other VAs at different locations 2 taps were provided again depending on village size (roughly 1 pair of outlet tap for 10-15 HHs).
3. Each tank either water storage big tank (40,000 liters) or 3,000 liters water distribution outlet has bottom 1/2 to 1 feet to flush out dirts and other external materials.
4. Perineal source are connected with water distribution outlets through underground PVC pipes.
5. Water is lifted through electric pump.
6. Each location has Water committee and rules for duration of water supply. In summer months usually 1 hour supply twice a day (evening and morning), collection of maintenance charges, tanks cleaning, educating community not to waste water, छान कर पानी use karna, etc.
7. Each tank has perfect branding with RF and respective VA. Perfectly transparent with sub-head wise details of expenses, community contribution, year of construction, etc (see in photo).
8. Looking at the overall management systems, Gram Panchayat of Sheli Khorad has came forward with a proposal to bear all the electricity charges.
9. Looking at the water tables in the water source, there is no doubt to face any difficulty in next 2-3 months.
Personally, highly impressed by witnessed systems, processes, planning, quality of interventions, management, etc. However, sky is the limit for perfection but in present context beautiful example of ensuring drinking water.
Flip-side is that with today’s re-fined learning overall investment can be reduced to at least 30-40%.
All these initiatives were supported by BIJ (Bharat India Jodo) program of Reliance Foundation.